Are you looking to improve your competency-based teaching in secondary math? In this 45-minute course from Next Level Consulting, Dr. Chris Jones, the executive director for the Virginia affiliate of ASCD, shares his expertise and experience on creating a student-centered, competency-based classroom. Dr. Jones focuses on answering the questions of "What do we teach?" and "How do we assess and respond?" in a competency-based math setting. He emphasizes the importance of student goal setting, reflection, and self-reporting in this type of learning environment.
In this 45-minute course, you will learn:
- The importance of aligning grading categories with standards and using a 0 to 4 scale to report student progress
- The use of benchmark assessments and a competency tracker spreadsheet to track student progress
- The use of unit assessments covering specific objectives, and separate grades for each objective for more specific feedback
- The use of a color card system to track student progress and identify areas for intervention and reteaching
- The use of a self-assessment process and homework check to reinforce learning and track progress
Other courses in this series:
Be the Light – Teacher Leaders Who Show and Do
School and Community Culture
The Competency-based Classroom
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.